US Claims Arrest of Venezuela President Nicolás Maduro After Large-Scale Military Operation
US President Donald Trump claims Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife were arrested and removed from the country after a major US military operation, triggering international backlash and regional tensions.
US President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, have been detained and removed from Venezuela following what he described as a “large-scale” US military operation.
In a statement, Trump said the United States had successfully carried out a coordinated attack targeting Venezuela’s leadership. He claimed that Maduro and his wife were captured during the operation and taken out of the country with assistance from US law enforcement agencies. Trump added that further details would be shared during a press conference scheduled for 11 a.m. at Mar-a-Lago.
Shortly afterward, US Attorney General Pam Bondi confirmed that both Maduro and Flores had been formally indicted in New York. According to Bondi, Maduro faces multiple serious charges, including narco-terrorism conspiracy, cocaine trafficking conspiracy, illegal possession of machine guns and destructive devices, and conspiracy to use such weapons against the United States. She said Maduro would be prosecuted in US courts, though she did not clarify the specific charges against Flores.
Speaking to Fox News, Trump stated that Maduro was apprehended at a heavily fortified residence, which he described as resembling a fortress made of reinforced aluminum. He added that Maduro and his wife were being transported to New York. Trump also claimed there were no confirmed American casualties, although he said it remained unclear whether there were deaths inside Venezuela.
Trump revealed that he had offered Maduro the option to surrender about a week earlier. “We wanted a peaceful resolution,” he said, “but ultimately we had to act in a more surgical and forceful way.” He declined to provide operational details.
Meanwhile, Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodríguez demanded proof that Maduro and the First Lady were alive. Speaking on state television, she accused the United States of violating international law and condemned the operation as an act of aggression against Venezuela. She said instructions had been issued to the armed forces and security agencies, adding that the country was calm but processing the impact of the attack.
The Venezuelan government described the events as a US military assault after explosions and low-flying aircraft were reported across Caracas and other regions early Saturday morning. Videos shared by residents showed smoke plumes, loud detonations, and aircraft flying at unusually low altitudes. Power outages were reported in several neighborhoods of the capital.
Explosions were first heard shortly after 2:00 a.m., including near the La Carlota air base in Caracas. BBC Verify confirmed that key sites targeted during the strikes included La Carlota, the port of La Guaira, and Higuerote airport.
In an official statement, the Venezuelan government strongly condemned what it called a serious act of military aggression by the United States against civilian and military locations in Caracas, as well as the states of Miranda, Aragua, and La Guaira. The statement warned that the attack threatened regional peace and endangered millions of lives.
Authorities accused Washington of attempting to impose regime change through force, alleging coordination with what they called domestic oligarchic interests. The government urged social and political groups to mobilize in opposition to the attack and announced a nationwide state of external emergency.
Citing Article 51 of the United Nations Charter, Venezuela said it reserves the right to self-defense to protect its sovereignty and population.
The escalation follows months of rising tensions, during which the United States increased its military presence in the Caribbean and reiterated its stance that Maduro is an illegitimate leader linked to drug trafficking.
Journalist Vanessa Silva, who lives in Caracas, described witnessing a powerful explosion from her apartment window. She said the blast shook her building and was stronger than lightning, leaving her shaken and frightened.
Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello addressed the nation, urging citizens to remain calm and not assist what he called an invading enemy. He said Venezuela had faced similar challenges in the past and would endure again.
International reactions quickly followed. Colombian President Gustavo Petro expressed concern over the explosions and the rising regional tension. Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel condemned the operation as a criminal act and called for an urgent international response.
US Under Secretary of State Christopher Landau posted on X that Venezuela was entering a “new dawn,” declaring that the removal of Maduro marked the beginning of justice for his alleged crimes.
Spain urged restraint and offered to mediate, emphasizing respect for international law and confirming that its diplomatic missions in Venezuela remained operational.
Russia, a close ally of the Maduro government, strongly condemned the US action, calling it an armed attack on Venezuelan sovereignty. Moscow urged all sides to avoid further escalation and seek a solution through dialogue, reaffirming its support for Venezuela’s leadership and national independence.
What's Your Reaction?
Like
0
Dislike
0
Love
0
Funny
0
Angry
0
Sad
0
Wow
0

